High porosity curls can be quite difficult to manage & look after.
Many products cater towards curls with lower porosity as this porosity level is more common in people with curly hair.
To combine this struggle of having high porosity type 3a-3b curls does not make it any easier.
Sometimes, with high porosity type 3a-3b curls, our hair is left looking weighed down due to the nature of both the heavy products and our natural curl pattern (having looser curls).
This ends up leaving us with waves instead of our natural curl pattern. Not to mention the loss of volume and grease.
If you can relate to this then I would advise you to read on because here is how you can fix that problem.
But first, do you know whether you have high, medium or low porosity?
Do I have high porosity hair?:
It’s crucial to know which type of products to use in your hair depending on its porosity and curl pattern.
This post is aimed to inform you of the essential products that those with type 3a & 3b curls with high porosity need in order to nourish, protect and preserve their curls.
Porosity is how quickly your hair tends to absorb moisture. High porosity hair tends to look frizzy, break easily and dry quickly as it absorbs moisture the quickest.
Take a strand of your hair and put it into a glass of water. If the strand sinks to the bottom of the glass instantly; you have high porosity hair.
This is a test to see the level of porosity of your hair.
If it floats at the top of the glass for a long time; you have low porosity hair as your hair is unable to absorb the moisture.
If it floats in the middle of the glass for some time without sinking, then you have medium porosity hair.
Do I have type 3 curls?:
If you are still unsure as to what curl type you have, then that’s okay!!
It’s more than normal to have more than one different curl pattern in your hair making it very confusing as to which curl type you fall under.
Take a look at the image below to see which resembles your curls the most.
- Type 3a has curls about the circumference of a chalk and sometimes takes the shape of an ’s’ which is typically known as loose curls
Type 3b has curls about the circumference of a sharpie and appears more tighter and ‘curlier’ then 3a curls, producing ringlets.
- Type 3c has curls about the circumference of a pencil and takes the shape of a tight corkscrew.
These Shampoos & Conditioners are great for type 3a high porosity hair:
Type 3a curls can lose its shape and definition when wet as it is being held down so be sure to check if you can’t see your curls spiralling when wet.
3a curls can be weighed down when applying heavy, rich products as the curls are naturally quite loose compared to type 3b & 3c.
I make sure to use gentle cleanser shampoos that are not as thick and creamy to preserve my 3a curl pattern and ensure my hair isn’t being weighed down.
When picking the right conditioner, I make sure to choose one which completely moisturises my hair as high porosity hair tends to frizz up and dry quicker.
– Some shampoos to use on type 3a high porosity hair are: Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen and Restore Shampoo,As I Am Curl Clarity Shampoo & Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and Shine Shampoo.
– Some conditioners to use on type 3a high porosity are: Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus conditioner, Shea Moisture Hydrate + Repair Manuka Honey and Yogurt conditioner & Maui Moisture Shine + Awapuhi Moisturizing Vegan Shampoo with Coconut Oils
This curl pattern is tighter than type 3a meaning it does not lose its shape when being weighed down.
However, the curlier your hair; the more prone it is frizz and lack of moisture. If you have type 3b curls with high porosity hair (meaning it absorbs moisture quickly); ensure to use thicker and creamer shampoos and conditioners.
– Some shampoos to use on type 3b high porosity hair are; Cantu Coconut shampoo, Shea Moisture Hydrate Manuka Honey & Yogurt Shampoo , Maui Moisture & Nourish Coconut milk Shampoo.
Type 3a & type 3b:
As we all know by now; deep conditioning is a restorative treatment to help nourish your curls and reduce frizz.
Click here to learn about deep conditioners for type 3a-3b hair.
As high porosity type 3a & 3b curls are prone to frizz, thick and creamy deep conditioners are vital in order to define curls and eliminate frizz.
– Some deep conditioners for type 3a & 3b high porosity curls are; Shea Moisture Hydrate & Repair Protein Mankua Honey Deep Conditioner, Cantu Shea Butter Deep Conditioner & As I Am Hydration Deep Conditioner.